In this rapidly changing market, it is crucial that commercial lending and corporate finance practitioners not only have a broad base of legal knowledge and skill, but also have the business acumen and practicality to effectively and efficiently structure and close a financing transaction and achieve their client’s business objectives. This is what our clients deserve and this is what we deliver.
Our Commercial Lending and Corporate Finance Practice Group has extensive experience in all aspects and phases of lending and financing transactions including:
- structuring, preparing and negotiating term sheets, commitment letters and letters of intent
- drafting complex (yet still user-friendly) loan and financing documents
- guiding our clients through the complexities of the Uniform Commercial Code and Puerto Rico’s Mortgage Law to validly create, perfect and enforce security interests in all types of real and personal property
- navigating the related tax, employee benefits, intellectual property and environmental law issues that impact the transaction
Collectively, the members of our Commercial Lending and Corporate Finance Group have successfully closed thousands of commercial lending transactions for most major financial institutions, encompassing all levels of complexity.
Our transaction portfolio includes credit facilities for private and public entities and secured by all types of collateral, including, real estate, leases and rents, accounts, accounts receivable, inventory, equipment, ownership interests and intellectual property, among others.
We have worked with clients on the full spectrum of public and private financing transactions – local and cross border – providing informed and insightful advice in a broad range of commercial lending and financing transactions to Puerto Rico’s premier commercial banks, emerging private equity and distress funds.
The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Lending & Secured Finance 2015 Edition, Puerto Rico Chapter, authored by José Fernando Rovira Rullán and Carlos M. Lamoutte Navas. This article appeared in the 2015 edition of The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Lending & Secured Finance; published by Global Legal Group Ltd, London (www.iclg.co.uk).
Representative Matters and Transactions:
- In a groundbreaking transaction and first-ever in Puerto Rico, acted as local counsel to the entities listed below in a world class Public Private Partnership (P3) transaction involving Puerto Rico’s International Airport, specifically involving: (i) the re-financing of a portion of the leasehold fee and certain other costs and expenditures associated with the Luis Munoz Marin International Airport Lease Agreement, through the issuance and sale of senior secured notes in the aggregate principal amount of $350,000,000; and (ii) the financing of certain other costs and expenditures (including capital expenditures) associated with the P3 transaction through a senior secured term loan commitment in the aggregate principal amount $50,000,000 and revolving facility of $10,000,000. Puerto Rico reached FAA approval and financial close of the transaction during March 2013.
- Acted as local counsel to a manufacturing and logistics industries in connection with a revolving line of credit, swing loans and letter of credit issuances from a national bank and other lenders party thereto in the principal amount of up to $300,000,000.
- Acted as local counsel to a nationwide specialty retailer in connection with a revolving line of credit, swing loans and letter of credit issuances from a Fortune 500 company and other lenders party thereto in the principal amount of up to $115,000,000.
- Acted as local counsel to a gasoline wholesaler brand with the restructuring of its Puerto Rico inventory financing facilities with an international bank in an aggregate amount in excess of $100,000,000.
- Counsel to a shopping center conglomerate with several financings, re-financings and loan modifications in an aggregate amount in excess of $85,000,000.